Friday, February 11, 2005

Turn it off

I'm not in a happy place right now, people. I read the news and then got a really discouraging phone call. Whammo, I am depressed and angry all at once.

Someone threw a baby out of a car window. They bundled it up, plastic bag over head, and chucked it out of a moving car. The baby is alive because someone saw this happen, and rescued him.

This happened in Florida, a state WITH a safe haven law, which basically means that if you have a baby and you "don't want it", leave it anywhere that a nurse, fireman, etc will find it and you won't go to jail.

I know -- hey, when we find those parents, let's wrap THEM up in a bundle, with a plastic bag over THEIR heads, tie the two of them together, and throw THEM out of a window. Whilst going over a high bridge, over very deep water. I'll personally volunteer to assist in eliminating these two from the face of this earth.

Stories like this HURT people (like me) who have experienced the abrupt end of a wished-for pregnancy. The emotions run something like "why? why? I was married, didn't do drugs, did everything 'right' and I couldn't keep my baby, and then this bitch has one and LITERALLY throws it away?" It is SO unfair and so shattering. You never really get all of the pieces back together. Close, but never complete.

The women I volunteer with would give ANYTHING to have had their child be a healthy eight pound baby. In addition, the phone call I mentioned was about a dear friend who lost her baby yesterday at 19 weeks of pregnancy. Please remember her in your prayers. I won't get into all of the specifics, but she is about ten BILLION times more deserving of a child than the bitch in the news.

The song that sums up perfectly how I feel right now is by Phil Collins, and it's called Long Long Way To Go.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...