Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I had to laugh

Five minute post here, as I try to ease back in to my "after school" routine with the kids:

Today, driving down a street right near my house, I saw a bunch of kids who go to the public school on the corner. They were the Goths. One guy actually had on this giant long black coat and I have to say, I had a mixture of feeling impressed and horrified all at once.

The next corner had all the "plain white" kids who didn't match the previous set. Jeans, tshirts, etc. Vanilla, very un-goth.

Every one of those kids stood still, staring glumly ahead into space. As I pulled up at the stop sign I could sense the unanimous feeling 'oh crap, back to school' oozing from every clogged pore in the entire group.

I just couldn't help myself - it was the look on their faces. I swear to you, I burst out into full-out hysterical laughter, looking at those kids. They probably heard me, too, since my moon roof was open. I drove away hoping they weren't throwing stuff at me.

Sorry, kids!

(time's up!)

2 comments:

Doublebogie said...

LOL! I can identify exactly with what you're saying. I have 5 kids,, imagine the sigh of relief from my wife today as they rode off to school.

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't abandon your car, get out there and join them in their silent dismay!!
:)

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...