Saturday, September 24, 2005

Things that make me laugh and cry

There are many things that make me laugh.

Like, catching my arch rival playing solitaire or googling pictures of Halle Berry at work. Those are beautiful moments because I pretend to ignore the fact that he's furiously scrolling and trying to close the window, while I remain calm and professional and talk about the actual WORK I came to discuss in the first place.

My sister makes me laugh, daily. Whether she' s eating pie at 8 am because she just got home from work, or looking at me saying "How DO you put up with these kids up your nose every second of the day", or relating the most recent tales of Birdland to me, she's a riot.

I am also very proud of her because she is a fantastic nurse. Seriously, she has gotten awards at work because of her devotion to those tiny little darlings. She is very passionate about her work and said to me yesterday "I'm so tired of NICU nurses being called bitches because we're trying to protect fragile, two pound babies" - kick ass, girl!

Today she is going to speak at a memorial service for the patients who have passed away this year and I heard her speech the other day. It's beautiful and I AM SO PROUD OF YOU, S.

I will cry.

PS: Happy Birthday to my baby! My Daniel is 8 today. Mommy loves you even though you never pick up your underwear and put those skidmarks in the hamper, and even though you wake me up at least one night a week to rebuild the perimeter of stuffed animal soldiers that guard you while you sleep, and even though you require Delilah, dammit, Delilah to be playing on the radio in your room all night to help you sleep, and this makes you an expert on hits of the 80's. Well, maybe because of those things.

P.P.S.: Yes, I bought you a PlayStation - now stop asking me every damn day for one!

3 comments:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Ha - I had a mentail image of your arch rival scambling to close / hide windows as you're standing there. Classic.

Blake said...

I remember my first PlayStation. And I'll never forget the day I accidentally dropped it down a flight of stairs in my frat house when I was moving. Now I might start asking you for a PS everyday, deal?

Johnny Virgil said...

That's funny. I can totally picture that too. Wait, am I your arch rival? No, I don't know how to play solitaire....

Playstation. Jeez. What's wrong with your kid. The next gen Xbox is due out any day now. You're buying obsolete technology, mom.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...