Monday, March 20, 2006

The EFF-ing Learning Fair, part 495

I swear, the teachers all get together in the faculty lounge and have a good laugh at us parents.
They dole out assignments for the annual learning fair, sit back, and snicker, knowing the kids won't do the work all by themselves.

This year my son's class is learning about the rain forest. Frankly, I'm just about at the point where I'll cut it all down myself. I have things to do. Phone calls to make. And yet, we had to do research, do reports, and make a "creature" from the rain forest. This creature.

Using ONLY things that come from the rainforest.

Yes, read that back and mull it over. You are supposed to use materials that come from the rain forest(s).

(Is that singular? Is there one big rain forest, or are there a few forests? Shouldn't I know that? I was so embarrassed. I had to ask the kids. At least they both new, that yes, there is more than one rain forest. My tuition is not entirely being thrown away. I am learning too! Pfft. )

Anyway, a block of styrofoam does NOT come from the rain forest(s). Neither does playdough. You know what comes from the rain forest? Food.

Coffee, cinnamon, nuts, fruits and various other things that will certainly be completely funky a week and a half from now if they are used to build said bug.

So, we were contemplating how to build a bug yesterday afternoon. There was fighting, and whining and crying, but my sister got me to stop.

Off went the Mr. and the Son to the store, with a plan I didn't understand about foam rubber and bamboo.

Because, you see, they were on the list.

This is what we have so far...

It's going to be spray painted black, because we got lucky and "paints and lacquers" are on The List.

*Hot glue is probably not on the list. (This fact would explain why I burned my finger on the hot glue gun. It's all about Karma.)

1 comment:

onescrappychick said...

Sometimes I think we lead parralel lives. Our Curriculum Fair is next week. D must be in 3rd grade, right? Ms. Thang's class is doing the rainforest. Her "creature" is the Fruit Bat. Did you know that they can be 6 feet long, with their wings open wide? Her teacher decided at the 11th hour to skip the creation of the "creatures". The class is making a giant mural of a rainforest, and turning the west hall into a forest the night of the fair. What fun. The boy's class is doing a scaled model of our town in the colonial days. I've lost count of how many items of clothing he's ruined at school with brown paint. Funny thing is, the house they are doing, is white.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...