Saturday, March 11, 2006

Burn, Baby

Club Burn makes me happy.

Quite simple, really. I love to dance while listening to loud music. If I go to a "real" club these days, I feel rather stupid since it's mostly rap music, and I'm old enough to have given birth to almost every other person in the room. I stand there wondering if someone is snickering at me. As for the music, I like rock better; I like many different types of music but not really most rap.

When I go to see the Burners , it's all different. They rent out a banquet house for a month o' Fridays & Saturdays and call it Club Burn. There are still younger people there, but also plenty of people my age and beyond. It's nice not being the oldest one in the room.

Last night Suzy kidnapped my from my blissful world of puking children with overdue homework and forced me to got to Club Burn with her and stay for the entire two sets. "This is for your own good" she said sternly. No, I'm kidding. I was just happy that she didn't conk out --people who work nights never really get enough sleep and sometimes when we try to sneak away she winds up with that glazed look in her eyes all too soon.

One of the advantages of NOT being the oldest person in the room is that once in a while I get to snicker quietly at someone 5-10 years older than me who is just trying a little too hard... sequin-y top and hair teased to an inch of its life, always with a martini, (I'd like to thank the bitch who poured hers down my arm because she was so drunk she was waving it around... nice way to waste $6 honey...) arms way up in the air with vivid "I'm dancing, I'm out with the girls dancing!!" faces. I prefer to get my limited funk on a little bit more quietly, and it was jeans, a vaguely in-style cute shirt, and Coors lite in a can for me (sponsor of the event, whatever, beer was fine for me last night)

So there I was beer in hand, riiiight up next to the speakers, (I am so deaf right now) totally forgetting about all of the "junk" in my life. It's great to watch this band because they're obviously having SO much fun while they perform.

They mostly sing 70's/80's/90's sort of hits. Car Wash. Brown Eyed Girl. Roller coaster of love. Get up (James Brown) They dusted off a KISS tune(I want to rock & roll all night). A little Tom Petty, a little Steve Miller. Billy Joel (Italian Restaurant) Good fun. The sax player is excellent and really makes some of the songs like the Joel stuff that they cover. The lead singer is a real live wire and always seems to talk about places I remember going to when I was in college... the Rafters, Sneaky Petes (the original),.... so it's all good.

At one point they played Amazing Grace. Now, I know all 3 of you, my darling readers, are saying "WTF, Carly? Amazing Grace??" I wouldn't have thought that it would work either, but it did. The keyboard player started with this intense electronic piano version, with lights, smoke, etc (the other players were probably grabbing a beer...) then Jay, the lead singer, sang one verse, and then the trumpet player played a verse as a solo. You probably had to be there, but it worked. The crowd loved it.

I may be able to sneak back next week....shhhhhhh

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...