Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The tip of the Iceberg

If you have a fairly fast internet connection, check out iceberg radio .

Unlike yahoooooo radio, there are no annoying commercials and I didn't have to PAY anything.

The "about us" page says that IcebergRadio.com is owned and operated by Standard Interactive, a division of Standard Radio Inc, the largest privately owned broadcast company in Canada. It also confirms that it is FREE. Yeah!(There are Dell ads all over this site, so watch where you click.)

If you create a password you can save a list of your favorite stations. (They've got categories, rock - pop - country - alternative/indie - dance/electronic - urban/r&b - metal - folk - blues jazz - soul/funk - reggae - world - classical - nostalgia , and time capsules: 50's 60's 70's 80's & 90's - and these categories all have multiple stations. )

Now, one thing I liked about Yahoo radio was that if I was hearing someone I didn't like, I could click a button saying "never play this artist", or conversely, set the person as a "favorite artist", etc. That functionality doesn't seem to be present here. But so far I've listened all day and been pretty excited about the variety of music available.

The interface could use a little bit of work - the pop-up window that shows what station/ song I'm currently listening to takes up FAR too much room on the screen and can't be resized. When I minimize it, I can only see what station is playing when I hover over it, and not the artist/ song title. I think I might not be doing something exactly right because it seems like it's supposed to work with windows media player. So, I'll ask my friends who are smarter than me... or give their tech support team a whirl.

Anyway, check it out... enjoy... tell them Carly sent you. Maybe I'll get a month free or something. Hahaha. (Listen, if you were home with a sick kid that joke would be funny, trust me.)

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...