Monday, October 06, 2008

Couch day

I needed to take a sick day today and when I got tired of squinting at Food tv, I came across Amazing Wedding Cakes. I wouldn't say "Amazing" but it did kill the time.

In short, it follows the progess on cakes at three different custom bakeries:

I hate Cake Divas, Joan seems like a total smug LA bitch to me and holy royal icing she wears way too much makeup. You can see glimpses of how much she and her partner/ coworkers hate each other - it would be more fun to really see some of the catfights.

The Cake Girls seem nice, but don't seem to plan their timing or supporting construction as well as I could, given the many episodes of Ace of Cakes under my belt. Also they let a GROOM order a cake. Hello! (His fiancee freaked TWO DAYS before the wedding. What the hell was she thinking?)

The Cake Atelier owners work in Manhattan and one of the things one owner talked about is how too many wedding cakes are overloaded with detail (right after LA talked about how lavish and over the top is fabulous - heh).

One big stress they deal with is delivering their cakes BY TAXI. In MANHATTAN. I am by no means a pro, but I do a cake now and then. If I bring a cake anywhere, it's on a heavy cakeboard on a beach towel in my lap while Mr drives me, NOT boxed up and transported in a cab. Oy vey.

There are not enough martinis in Manhattan.


Carly(via Blackberry)

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...