Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Let's NOT do lunch

So a Person I wouldn't normally expect to come to the cafeteria for the sole purpose of keeping me company did today (aka I have formerly referrred to this person as my arch nemesis ...and yet he knew I was going downstairs alone and he showed up five minutes later... with no food, he had eaten at his desk) and then confided that the company has finally broken his spirit, and he just doesn't care anymore. I knew SOMETHING was wrong with him.

Oy. Don't get me wrong, I actually did empathize with him, and the whole "no joy in my work" scene.

I narrowly avoided an uglier topic - I stated in reply to something he said that yes, I think calling Barack "B.O." is, yes, in my mind, obviously racist -- without thinking through that I really DIDN'T want to have that conversation over lunch and have to explain that it's not "just that they're saying he smells, it's a juvenile joke". They're saying he smells. It totally escaped my nondining companion. Right over his head, it did. I really need to remember to keep my mouth shut at times.

He then got in a debate with The Kid about whether it's ok to call politicians stupid. That amazing discourse went on for over 30 minutes. I pointedly said after five minutes "LET'S TALK ABOUT BASEBALL" since it was just the four of us, but Andy and I gave up, more or less laughed at them, (each trying to change the other person's mind when YOU CAN'T DO THAT WITH POLITICS, FOLKS) and discussed iPhone functionality.

I really really want the election to hurry up and be over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see somethings don't change there...(Although nice of him to come down and keep you company before the other two came down)

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...