Saturday, January 05, 2008

Disconnect

So, when I made the book of old photos for my father, I included one of his Uncle Carl, from the day of Carl's wedding to his first wife, Grace. ( Here , page 14)

Grace apparently only lived a couple of years after the wedding. I don't know what illness claimed her, but they never had any kids. The picture is a very formal portrait, the dress is beautiful, and the story to me is sad and wistful and romantic and oh so very whatever.

Today my father gave a dismissive wave in my direction. "What did you put that picture of Carl and Grace in the book for?"

Because she was his wife, I replied.

Another wave of the hand "Ahh. She was nothing."

The conversation really got under my skin. I keep things. I write down stories and names and save pictures. It's a HUGE part of how I spend my personal time. I scrapbook, I help other people scrapbook, etc. The picture mattered enough to my great aunt (Helena), for her to hold on to it for so many years. It's not NOTHING!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My cousin's daughter went around to all the family and made copies of all the old pictures she could find, and this November, at my father's memorial service, she brought 4 (yes, 4!) thick albums and left them for us to look at, and she said she'd copy any pics that we wanted. It was priceless! So keep up your good work. Many WILL appreciate it!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...