Saturday, January 12, 2008

Schoolhouse


So... this is where I attended the 4th grade. I went by there today, and took a quick picture on my blackberry. My only real recollections are:

  • It was an experimental format where kids decided what they wanted to learn about and then developed a learning plan for themselves, and didn't listen to any lectures from a teacher together as a group. I don't think that worked out very well, do you? Most 4th graders aren't self motivated enough for that model.
  • One day a boy hit me... I told the teacher and he threw a great big dictionary at the kid. ("YOU HIT A GIRL????") Ummm.... At least he missed.
  • I forgot my lunch once and had to eat half of someone's PBJ. If you don't know me in person, you don't know I can't stand to eat peanut butter. Just getting a little tiny bit on my finger if I clean up my children's plates is enough to make me gag. So that was not a good day for me.

Exciting stuff, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I often wonder if todays teachers were allowed to throw dictionaries at children if they wouldn't be just a tad more respectful . . .

Love the picture of the schoolhouse - it looks very similar to the one I attended in Vermont.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...