Saturday, September 15, 2007

Lessons learned



I'm not ready to quit my day job. (Although running an art gallery sounds fun and completely different from the crap I put up with yesterday.)

This cake never made it past the "oh my gosh this is an ugly cake" stage that I usually manage to overcome. Mostly, because I was just plain exhausted after a long day, but also:

  • Someone who is making a cake should make sure she has the colors she wants. Plenty of confectioner's sugar would be helpful too. Dead right out of the starting gate here.
  • Cinnamon mixes nicely with canned creamcheese frosting to make an interesting sort of kitty color, but the consistency is not great for piping 10,000 bits of hair even WITH a tip 233. Gaaaaaaaaah. Don't pound your right hand on the table unless you're a lefty.
  • Swearing at a cat cake is fun because you can get very obscene. Try it, you'll see.
  • You can't make the lines the same color as the fur or they don't show, and that's the whole effing point of the lines. KittyBlob is hard to figure out without contrast.
  • Those stamps I spent $10 on would have been a good idea to use before I did the writing, and if I wasn't so tired and annoyed I would have dug them out. (The letters in the name, which I blurred here, were uneven and got progressively larger AND I almost spelled my niece's name wrong. Not frustrating at all.)
  • It's just a cake. They'll eat it.

2 comments:

onescrappychick said...

It's better than I could ever do!

Sgt said...

Same here. I have trouble writing "Happy" on a cake let alone the the rest of the design.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...