Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Homework Blues

Is prayer more like homework, or a bulletin board?*

Am I more annoyed than a shoe, or a hammer?

Seventh grade is still a little young to be wrestling with abstract philosophy alone at the kitchen table.




*for the record she had a series of these -- I told her to think about words that come to mind for each one (homework: practice, brings knowledge & understanding, bulletin board: a way to spread news or remember things). She had to come up with one on her own so we chose refridgerator (safe, calming) vs stove (warm, comforting). Well, I chose it. But I explained my approach to her, which is more than the teacher did. Hmmmph.

3 comments:

onescrappychick said...

I would go with a warm, soft blanket... cozy and protective.. yet soothing when upset and troubled.

Sgt said...

Wow. That is a deep serious of psychoanalysis. Was this her FBI psych exam?

Homework: useful, but mandated/forced

Bulletinboard: posted willingly, but amongst others in hopes of a response.

I'm guessing soon she'll do the hammer,knife,tape measure,duct tape personality test. It's like MyersBriggs for kids.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Thanks. My brain just exploded over the prayer analogy.

And she's in 7th grade????

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...