Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I don't recognize her

Who's that girl in the mirror? It's me. Yesterday I had hair that was short but not so much so, kinda long for my liking, and light brown with blonde streaks. I said "I want it a little bit red" and now it's DARK brownish red. Not a little bit. Oy vey. People literally said things like "gee I almost didn't recognize you" to me all day. Me, without a hat to hide under. It's been a while since I had a cut like this. Technically, people say it looks nice, it's just VERY different to have changed the color and the length all at once. (Oh and I didn't mention the razor she used cutting it, but the length is more like what I prefer. Aiieeeeeee. A razor. )

* * *

I'm trying to gently break the news to my kids that with Mom's new hours come a more structured routine for M, T, W, & Thursdays. As in, officially having chores to do. They're not delighted. No tv before dinner????!!!!!! (F-ck the Disney channel. I only have cablel so I can have a DVR so I can record the Office every damn Thursday night. So there. ) I do not plan on spending an entire basketball season cleaning the house constantly simply because I'm the only person home.

The thing is that if I don't get more help from my precious darlings (who are very good, truly, but have never had their feet really held to the proverbial fire) I will become a new spinoff series for Gordon Ramsay, where he walks into a house and wrinkles his nose in horror at the disarray. He will walk around saying "Bloody Hell!" too much, and the cameramen will track MORE dirt everywhere and the sound men will pick up me swearing and / or weeping in another room. Over my hair, of course.

2 comments:

Sgt said...

You just described my first 3 days in the new house... less the camera crew of course.

onescrappychick said...

last year, during my Really Sucky Year, when I was maybe 3 minutes away from being committed... we had a restructuring of household duties. What it came down to was.. I was doing most of it.. and those who thought they were "helping" .. weren't doing much. There is still complaining about it... but too bad. I stand my ground ... and it gets done. Good luck! Don't let the whining wear you down.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...