Thursday, October 25, 2007

Things I have learned this week at work

The client will ALWAYS say "it's a simple change"*, especially if they have no programming background whatsoever. *Because The Program Will Just Know that it's a type X and so then...

I tend to figure something out ( for example, a problem with the program that doesn't Just Know....) when I get up to go to the ladies room. So, either I'm drinking too much water and can't concentrate because my bladder's bursting, or I need to drink MORE water (because it forces me to get up and take breaks and let my subconscious solve the problem). I dunno. I'm too tired to figure out.

We are upgrading our phone system. A year ago when we were upgrading our shared printer network, I was a Printer Champion. It was a title bestowed on me because I was foolish enough to say that I had the time to attend the meetings and be the point person for the shared printers in my vicinity. I even got a certificate thanking me by name, " for his/her participation in the project." It was hilarious.

Anyway, the printers are crap and we STILL have problems, a year later. Pretty soon though, the phone system will be upgraded and I won't be able to call anyone. This means I won't be able to call the Help Desk anymore to open a printer ticket, so my printer problems will be solved, in a way. If you can't open a call record, is the problem closed?

Saying the word "mana-mana" to people will piss them off, especially when you follow it with "Do, do, do-do-do" like the Muppets do.

Lastly, nothing is quite as nice as the Thursday drive home when you know you don't have to go in to work on Friday.

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...