Thursday, October 25, 2007

Easy dinner

If you've had a crappy day, and the Mr. will be late coming home, hopefully you have this in your freezer; it's better than actually cooking for yourself.

Granted, it's not THE most flavorful thing you could make; freezing makes so many things bland. The IQF method that eluded Hung in Top Chef seems to be at work here, as this comes out of the freezer bag as chunks of sauce, pasta, and chicken, with enough spinach thrown in to liven up the taste a little but not seem Too Healthy. (Hah! It's frozen food. Get real.)

Seriously though, add some seasoning. It could definitely use some fresh grated parmesan cheese on top (buy a block, or at least buy some that isn't the green can...) at least. For those of us who DON'T live in a kitchen stocked with the fresh, cheerfully wholesome ingredients for 30 Minute Meals, it will do, in a pinch. Better than many other crappy frozen entrees, if I say so myself. (Damn, now I've used "crappy" twice in one post. You would never know I graduated Magna Cum Laude from college. Damn. OK it was a math/ computer science dual degree but really... Profanity is the limited vocabulary at work. Did I ever tell you about the time I visited the professor of an english elective I took when I was a senior, and said "Listen, if you can see your way to giving me an A- in this class, even though I know I'm a B+, I'll graduate Magna, so would you do that for my Mom please?" )

But anyway, this can sit in your freezer for months, apparently, waiting for that day when your brain hurts so much that all you can do is cut it open, pour it in a skillet, and open some wine.

But if you have a nice glass of wine, maybe this, which far outranks this meal, but WHATEVER, and headphones to play the ocean on your iPod to block out ANOTHER Hannah Montana rerun, you can get through the evening and procrastinate on your son's mural until "Tomorrow...."

Like me.

1 comment:

emmay said...

Pede Bros. stuffed shells (BOGO at P.C.)...drown in (jarred) sauce and bake for 30 mins. at 450 degrees. A good alternative.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...