Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday art


Since I have less than dazzling Saturday evenings*, on Sundays I'll be sharing more art with you.

This is by Gustave Caillebotte and is called Young Man at His Window. (I like art that contains things or scenery that is somewhat recognizable, and yes, that's an obvious name for this painting, but I'm fine with it.)

What I also like about this is the idea of wondering what he might be thinking about. Future plans, past regrets...? You can't read much of his emotion, since his face is turned away. I'm going with "pensive", since he seems to be staring out into the street.

(Edit: I realized later, re-reading the Wiki entry, that this is a painting of his brother, and was painted not too long after their father's death.)

*The birthday cake didn't go over as well as I'd hoped. It was kind of a non-event, and I felt like we were just all going through the motions of gathering to "celebrate". At one point we were all out on the deck, (8 of us) and there was little or no conversation at all, despite being family, sitting together outside on a sunny, mild fall day. Since I was wearing sunglasses, I actually gave up, closed my eyes, tipped my head back against my chair ever so slightly, and gave into the urge to fall asleep for a minute. I'm exhausted and discouraged.

1 comment:

onescrappychick said...

I'll spare you the details of our "family craptacular" today at the inlaws... but I feel your pain. I'm sure your cake was wonderful and I would've loved some. I wish people would take the time to make me a cake on my birthday without me having to ask.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...