Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Bad thing, good thing

We have this little game we play over dinner, every person has to tell one bad thing that happened to them that day, then we go around again and everyone has to tell a good thing.

Where do I start?

bad...

  • a communication breakdown with a Very Important Friend
  • getting dinged for not having information up to date on a particular system... that was so messed up I had to actually get a new ID created, because they couldn't make mine work
  • having to be at work all day instead of swimming with my sister at her pool
  • having to be at work at all
  • taking a walk at lunchtime, which seemed like a good idea but I was alone and it was too darn hot & muggy to really enjoy it much
  • knowing I have come home to at least 4 loads of laundry and a pile of bills to pay

good

  • seeing TWO herons on the pond right near my house - I have never seen two at once
  • being able to wear blue jeans to work (even if I have to donate to charity for it)
  • clearing up the communication with VIF and laughing about a really dumb joke
  • seeing hawks while I was out for my lunchtime stroll and having them be close enough so that I could hear their calls
  • having my friend tell me I am hip (re: clothes) and don't look almost 40.... thanks!!
  • leaving work knowing I don't have to go in tomorrow and can GO SWIMMING
  • NOT having to go to soccer practice tonight (on the Ant Fields)

how about you?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

bad: I couldn't stay at the park because there were some guys playing frisbee golf that kind of creeped me out.

My dog ate a bar of soap and then puked it up in a sudsy mess.

I really don't feel like practicing.

good: I got to sleep in today.

I wore a comfortable outfit.

I am listening to Tracy Chapman.

Ladyred said...

i browse a couple of blogs a day if i can and i came across yours. i really enjoyed reading! perhaps i'll add my bad/good. i like that idea. i'm always looking for new ways to make togetherness somewhat interesting.

bad: my back still hurts

not motivated to pack

good: finishing up my portfolio

it's not blazing hot today


thank you for sharing

Anonymous said...

Bad:

Work, in general.

Had to sit behind very noisy and 'hilarious' people on the bus home. Couldn't even hear the music on my Walkman properly!

Messed up an evening to the cinema tomorrow with my girlfriend and a couple of her long-term friends; I only just realized I was accidentally looking at next week's shift rota when I said I could go.

Good:

I asked around some friends and made a list of good restaurants in this city so Holly and I can go out on Saturday - should make up for my slight screw-up over the cinema thing.

I read your blog. :o)

I was playing my guitar (which always makes me feel good) and suddenly remembered an old tune I haven't played in a while.

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Bad: I had a red hot poker inserted into my eye socket. (Well, that's what the the day was like)

Good: I played hockey and took out a jerk who gave me a hard time last week. All he could do was nod and skate away. Payback's a bitch.

Johnny Virgil said...

I'm glad I don't eat dinner at your house. Too much damn pressure.

Carly said...

Geez Johnny! We don't make guests do it.

It's more of an antidote to "how was school today?" "OK"

tinymatters said...

It's always good to reflect on the gifts we've been given in a day: it's all too easy to reflect on the bad things and forget the good. Like = Bad: I didn't get any sleep last night (or the night before that, or the night before that, or the...well, you know). Good: I'm up in the middle of the night nursing two beautiful baby boys and although I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open I feel like a queen with them both at my breast, their beautiful eyes gazing up at me as I provide their nourishment.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...