Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Summer's over

... well not technically, but it sure is starting to feel like it. I have my annual allergy-induced sinus infection coming on, and I love it oh so much every autumn. Damn rotting leaves. Foliage, schmoliage. Hey, ragweed, I hate you too.

I actually saw geese flying south tonight on the way home. I wanted to pull over the car to get out and scream "No!! Not yet!! I only used our season passes to Great Escape once!!" but, well, police frown on that sort of thing.

Every year around this time my father sighs and plaintively says "Well, summer's over" as though he won't be here next summer. Since he's been doing this for about 30 years it's hard to put stock in the angst. "oh, Dad..."

Autumn. Soccer games every Saturday AND Sunday, and back-to-school selling magazines fundraisers, and my kids' birthdays (one day apart, but separated by 3 years). Racing home from work to help with homework and twice the laundry (school uniforms) and actually having to cook a real dinner because Country Drive In is closing soon.

I'm worrying already about getting ready for Christmas (because I'm sure to end up hosting the family dinner *AGAIN*.) I really have to tell my 10-almost-11 year old that there's no Santa Claus. That sucks. I don't want kids at school to make fun of her.

Help me out... tell me your favorite things about autumn. Mine are.... um.... sweaters. I love my sweaters. I have about 500,000. Really.

4 comments:

John said...

man alive I love the fall. the list of reasons for me is endless.
football
cool dry air
nights at the fire where you actually want to be by the fire
having the windows open in the house for like 10 days without dying of heat or cold exposure
meteor showers
halloween
trees changing colors
in Ohio there's no season even within striking distance of the awesomeness of fall.

onescrappychick said...

Let's see:

I love the crisp fall "smell"
The way it's cool in the morning and warm by the time school gets out
The awesome colors the trees change
Sweaters
Being outside on a sunny day and being able to breathe well
Raking (I know, I'm weird)
Hot Cocoa and Mulled Cider
Mums and pumkins and hay(oh my!)

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Walks in the woods (ok, that's great anytime)

The amazing colors, one of the reasons to live in the Northeast

Local apples

People stop wearing white

Hockey Season!!!

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate people like you who take their chance in such an excellent way to give an impression on certain topics. Thanks for having me here.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...