Thursday, February 16, 2006

And I already said I'd never homeschool...

I just spent 20 minutes listening to my daughter sob about the little bitch at school who calls her a dork and tries to get all the other kids to ignore her. Hugging her and trying to tell her that she has to just keep being who she is, and she really does have friends, she just has to learn how to ignore the bullies without antagonizing them further.

(she's gone to get a haircut with the Mr. now....)

Why are eleven year olds so mean? Because she doesn't have an effing iPod? Because she doesn't get on the computer and IM with them? Fuck.

The worst part is, I've been there. I remember all too well what it felt like to wear K-mart sneakers 30 years ago before anyone had ever heard of Martha Stewart or Jaclyn Smith. I was loser geek extraordinaire.

My heart, it breaks.

6 comments:

Johnny Virgil said...

I can tell you from experience that ignoring bullies never works.

Carly said...

I don't agree. If it's just "let's make fun of this person", and they don't get a rise out of you, they often get bored and find some other way to amuse their tiny brains. That's MY experience.

Sarah said...

So sorry to hear about your daughter's troubles. Luckily at that age, that kind of stuff fades away pretty quickly. The bully will move on to something (or someone) else (brat). I ache for your daughter. Kids are mean. :(

StrangerDanger said...

I'm with JV on this one, i was teased mercilessly, didn't matter if you ignored it or not. It wasn't until a popped a kid in the nose and acted a little crazy that i got any respect. But boys are different than girls, so I'm not advocating she take up boxing...

Anonymous said...

Hey Carly...you want me to come trip the little b**** girl? LMAO

Carly said...

Yes!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...