Monday, February 13, 2006

Grey's, deux

You can skip this if you don't watch Grey's Anatomy.

They had me right up until the kaboom.

The first 45 minutes were excellent, but then the last 15 minutes of the show completely irritated the crap out of me.

Here are just a few of the reasons.

1) too many happy endings - EVERYONE we know as an existing character lived??? Come on. I would like to see the actress who plays Bailey deal with entering motherhood and becoming a widow all at once, as a storyline arc.

(Why kill off a great guest star, who actually would have made a viable triangle element with Meredith? Dr. McDreamy is NOT attractive to me at all. I seriously think there's a chromosome missing from my DNA. It's the one responsible for women liking chocolate, buying shoes, and carrying a purse everywhere, and liking pretty puppy boys like this schmuck. Anyway... Even if I were to agree that Derek is attractive and a worthwhile pursuit of Meredith's time, a triangle is always more fun to watch.

Much too tidy that everyone got their happy ending and someone we really didn't have a chance to care about was lost. I feel like the writers overextended to fill two hours, then realized "wait, we have 1o minutes to wrap this all up now."

2)More importantly, Meredith lived??? She was in the hallway watching the bomb blow up and she fell down, beaned her head, passed out, and the next time we see her, she's in the shower?? No CAT scan, no stitches? Oh-please.

Oh, the token forehead scratch. (Vintage soap technique. There so we remember She Almost Got Killed, but laughingly minor, like Brenda's bandaid. Or was it Robin Scorpio?) Wouldn't she be covered in tiny cuts from all of that shattering glass?

Honestly, was the explosion imaginary? I feel like I need to watch the show again... did she just pass out in the hallway from extreme stress, and I missed a scene so I didn't understand that?? The aftermath of the explosion was so unrealistic. The other people in the hallway were apparently turned into "pink mist" (that whole speech by Dr. Milton was just cheap fiber but... oh, nevermind). Mer's OK. She's just going to have a quick shower and head home. Whatever.

Furthermore, when the bomb went off, Burke and Sheppard still finished their surgeries? Um, no one noticed the bomb go off? Where was the glass that shattered? It seemed like every bit of glass around was shattered. Didn't that distract at least ONE of them? I do understand that they were no longer in side by side rooms but it seems ONE of them would have had to have been affected. Burke??

3)We didn't see who found Meredith, or see her "come to"... this show really could be a cliffhanger for one more week with a TINY bit of effort. Who found her? Did they think she was dead?

I realize we're verging on "soap opera" again here with cliff hangers at the end of every episode but isn't that the nature of this show? It's a drama and all of the characters are sleeping with one another.

I would have liked to see Bailey hold her baby for the first time, and watch her NAME him Something George Something, in George's presence, which I am sure she did, but we DIDN"T GET TO SEE. Aaagh!! Bad decision!

Which brings me to... I love George. Love him, love him, love him. Compassionate to the paramedic, strong and comforting to Bailey, helping her find her inner resolve, whether he's got it together or he's hopelessly befuddled....love him, love him.

4)I was hoping for a little bit more of an attitude shift in Mer than just repeating the "I don't remember the last time we kissed" crap. Get over it. Move on with your life. For a moment I thought she'd say "I don't remember the last time you made me feel happy. I'm not going to put myself through this anymore."

But, no.If I almost became pink mist, I would take that as a wakeup call and say "you know what? I'm moving on. I got a second chance at life today and I'm not going to waste it whining over your sorry ass anymore. "

5)Izzy's a tramp. Seriously. Twice?? SERIOUSLY? I'm completely exasperated. George DID become a "doer". Izzy didn't. Unless you count doing Alex.

6) Shepard & Burke finished their surgeries at exactly the same time and came upstairs together? And yet, Derek has no idea where Mer is?? Didn't one of them step on her in the hallway? And everyone was milling around the lobby, waiting, presumably on the floor JUST OVER THE BOMB or something?? Do these people understand the word "evacuate"??


Here's a question for long-time General Hospital Fans: Outside of the big warehouse fire, did Brenda run into the arms of Sonny, or Jax? Did it matter?

6 comments:

onescrappychick said...

omg..I had this same exact convo at work today with someone... after dh listened to me vent for 10 mins last night. WTF.

Johnny Virgil said...

It's a soap opera with high production values.

Carly said...

....bigger budget, better special effects, etc...

Alisa said...

If Brenda had been smart she would have gone into Jax's arms. (Not that I don't adore Sonny, I do!) Unfortunately I started working day times right as this little triangle was working itself out.

Meredith needs to get over herself. And Dr McDreamy NEEDS to make a decision. Must be nice having to women chasing after you.

And yah ... totally... the shrapnel should have torn Meredith up one side and down the other. Bombs do that yanno.

I was hoping that she and hot bomb expert would have had sweaty "we almost died today" sex and started on a new tangent. But alas, he disintegrated.

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Is "we almost died today sex" better than "we almost broke up today sex"?

I would imagine it would be.

Paul said...

Regarding Grey's on Sunday, my guess is that they intended for the bomb to go off and then realized that it was too much for the average viewer to handle and tried to throw in some happy endings, which left me asking, "What the heck just happened?"

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...