Saturday, February 11, 2006

Twas the weekend before V-Day...

Went to the mall today... horrible mistake, except I got one of my Yankee candle favorites, buy one, get one 50% off... AND I had a gift card that I've been saving since my birthday so I really spent almost nothing. $10 got me $40 worth of candle happiness. It's all good.

The mistake was not anticipating that the entire mall would be mobbed with people because...

  • it's almost Valentines day so people are running to throw away their money on ugly jewelry and five dollar greeting cards that people will throw away before March, etc...
  • it's going to snow like crazy tomorrow so everyone went out today... because you see when it snows we will all be buried in our homes for weeks... uh, a few hours. Don't even get me started on the people who panic and go to the grocery store and buy 3 carts worth of stuff. We are in a very urban area and the vast majority of storms, we are plowed out the very same day. Take a deep breath, people.
  • it's just generally the time of year cabin fever starts to set in AND it's almost a full mooon! Wheeeee!

I laughed like crazy inside the Godiva store. $130 for a box of chocolates. You MUST be kidding. Mr. C is so lucky that I don't like chocolate.

Ever see a Build a Bear store? Well, they rake in the money. The lines were out the door... no doubt people making corny personalized bears. Apparently now you can also build a customized bear on their webpage... which takes away from the experience of BUILDING IT YOURSELF, but whatever. My kids know to not even ask me to go in there. (I'm not a total hardass, I tell the aunts & uncles that my kids love gift certificates for the store, so they do get to go now & then...with someone else...)

My most ego-deflating moment today was when B and I were poking around the iPod store and I realized she is much better than I am at manipulating the little dial that makes the menus work. I almost couldn't figure it out. I am such an idiot sometimes. (Years ago the first time Virgil gave me some software on a CD I actually said "I know this is a moron question, but this is not magnetic, right??)

Well at any rate, I hope have a good weekend. If you're single, just remember this great advice from my Grandpa Harold. He always would look at me, pat me on the head, and say "Don't ever get married." Then he'd laugh, and I would think he was just so silly. (Oh Grandpa, I know for sure you're REALLY laughing at me now, wherever you are. )

PS: is it just me or is Carrot top at the Olympics? (story)

3 comments:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

I've said it before, but your entry forces me to say it again - I hate valentines day. Every guy does. The Hallmark mafia created this day to hold up me around the world to buy those overprices cards, flowers and candy. You should see crowd at Krauses Candy on Central - it's the saddest collection of miserable men you'll ever see.

Well, I'm not going to be Hallmarks bitch this year - tuesday is going to be like any other day.

I talk a good game, ahyways.

Carly said...

Dude, you are so going to be in the doghouse... hahah.

Carly said...

Roses, followed by tulips, but that wasn't on sale so I got lily of the valley which is a softer scent but still nice

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...