Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Lame duck

I am now a lame duck, as far as the PTA is concerned.

I can't say that I am sorry to walk away from all of the work, nor all of the bullying, squabbling, and needless drama going on. (And we are supposed to be the grownups and role models?)

I have trouble with people who have a role and define themself so much by that, they become completly difficult about someone else taking it over.

Time changes things. People move on. It is what it is.

I was never suited for the role of perky volunteer. I don't like working, frankly. Also, I don't tend to express myself with multiple exclaimation points. Maybe too many "....." But that's another story.


Speaking of another story, I read an email yesterday that Aggie died.

Some 25 years ago when I started college, I didn't go for the mandatory swim test OR take the freshman swimming class. Funny how being thrown in the deep end of a pool by some drunk morons in high school when you can't swim will make you shy away from water.
Over the course of my college years eventually a boyfriend helped me learn how to "sort of" swim.

My senior year of college Aggie started to hunt me down. My friends were endlessly amused by the thought that I wouldn't be able to walk onstage for graduation if I didn't take that damn test. (I graduated magna cum laude with a math / computer science degree)

Finally in early May she cornered me and said "Today.". Of course by THEN I could pass it.

Aggie was legendary for her school spirit, her long career at my college, and just in general her wonderful personality. NOT for being the woman I drove crazy by being a flake about a swim test.

Sorry, Aggie. R, e, dr, ed, dre, dred -RED!!
Carly(via Blackberry)

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...