Sunday, January 14, 2007

Before he cheats

Well this won't be as good as the stories the Food Whore tells about her catering escapades, but here is something that happened to me yesterday.

We were celebrating my nephew's 12th birthday on Saturday and I had offered to make the cake.

He asked for chocolate with white icing. Done. (I got a little lazy and just used those crappy sugar decorations from the supermarket... canned frosting too.. picture to follow, but it's not anything like my best cakes, which I will also write about sometime soon.)

Since I don't like chocolate anything, I decided I would also made a carrot cake in a small rectangular pan, and a bunch of mini cupcakes.

I should have seen trouble coming when the cupcakes stuck like crazy to the nonstick pan. Grrr. I threw what was left of the cupcakes in a container and left them home. I took the small cake with me... so basically a half of a box mix. )

Cut to the party - HBTY was sung. Birthday boy had two candles, shaped like a "1" and a "2". He leaned forward, blew in the general direction, and missed both. Take two - lean forward, blew out one candle, and then - unmistakably - SPIT at the other one to put it out.

The sudden chorus of "I'd like carrot cake" was deafening.





(today's song... Carrie Underwood... I'm not crazy about the message, psychotic rage and vandalism and all that... but whatever)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it always the case. You bring something for yourself or in smaller quanties and everyone wants it.

I actually knew this song. Mrs SgtRedline has it on one of her playlists and in heavy rotation. I think its a warning ;-)

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...