Thursday, January 11, 2007

Passenger Seat

Lately I've noticed something disconcerting when I'm driving around, listening to my Sirius radio.

I'll be listening to Elvis or something (don't laugh, there is actually an Elvis channel, that I *COULD* be listening to if I wanted to, and my daughter does think he's her daddy and all... ) and suddenly I hear the unmistakable voice of Howard Stern.

If you don't have Sirius... when you have a portable radio it can take in the sattelite signal you've tuned in, and transmit back OUT on an FM frequency, so that you can listen to your receiver over your car stereo's speakers. Problem, everyone uses the same few "empty" FM frequencies on the dial. And someone driving by me with a stronger radio can stomp all over MY radio's signal.

Now, I get it that Howard could buy and sell me 83 million times over, but I still don't want to listen to him in my car. Shut up, Howard!!

It is kind of fun to look around and try to guess who is listening to Howard. The disconcerting part? Wondering who "notices" me listening to Tiffany Granath's talk show on the way home from work. Do I stomp too?


(I'm all shook up like a quarter in a can...Ain't life sweet, in the passenger seat....today's song brought to you by SheDaisy)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh.. I was going to blog about this myself. I, sadly, do not have Satallite Radio; however, when I'm listening to my IPod (same basic RF setup) or the normal radio, suddenly some crap comes through totally throwing off my grove.

I don't blame the other drivers, its the people that make these stupid transmitters. When looking for one for my IPod, I was checking into the range on them. Some of the vehicle only ones have a range of 50' WTF? Is that in case you plug it into the cigarette lighter in the back of your Winabago you can still receive the signal up front?

Driving down I-10 to/from work is a game of find a clear signal. I so need to upgrade my radio and get the normal input for it.

Johnny Virgil said...

You need an fm modulator that goes between your antenna and your radio. It's a direct feed to the frequency of your choice. Works fantastic.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...