Saturday, February 02, 2008

Damn Rodent

It's Groundhog Day, which plays well with the ten-and-under crowd. According to CNN,

Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow Saturday, leading the groundhog to forecast six more weeks of winter. The rodent* was pulled from his stump by members of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club Inner Circle, top-hat- and tuxedo-wearing businessmen who carry out the tradition.

*even CNN knows how nasty this whole thing is... a festival built around a rodent.

I muttered aloud, "Can I just ask WHY if he sees his shadow, that means more winter? because the effing sun is out if he sees his shadow." My son was happy to clarify that Phil's shadow scares him (mine sure as hell terrifies me) and that he goes back into his hole to hide for a few more weeks of hibernating, thus more winter. But if he doesn't see his shadow, he walks around, and it's all good, so an early spring.

There you go. Schooled by a ten year old again. In my defense, last week I caught him playing Star Wars on his PSP and talking about "Hanna" Solo. I pointed out that not only was he wrong about the name, it wasn't a chick. (Don't call me a chick.)

1 comment:

onescrappychick said...

MY son pointed out that it doesn't matter if he sees his shadow or not... spring starts in 6 weeks according to the calendar. (eyeroll)

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...