Sunday, February 24, 2008

Quiz them on the sermon

One of the guys in my choir let two of his grandsons come upstairs this morning. (My son has been up many times. For some reason kids love being up there. Wait, it's because they don't have to sit still during mass. That's it! He used to color for the first half of mass and then I would make him kneel/ etc as apropriate)

So these boys are in pehaps Kindergarten & 3rd grade. The little guy might be only 4 or so. They entertained themselves during mass and made noises in variety of ways including:
  • bouncing small (tennis sized) rubber balls that looked like the globe.
  • rattling a keyring
  • taking the flashlight on the keyring and turning it on (click) and off (click) over (click) and over (click)
  • "jumping" off the ledge (the windowsill of the big stained glass window at the back of our loft, about 3" from the floor so not much of a jump, but still a rewarding THUNK landing)
  • opening their velcro sneakers and adjusting the fit

Maybe if I knew how to fold a single sheet of paper into a baby hedgehog I could have amused them.... but then I didn't have THREE HOURS.

I wanted to hog tie them with that velcro on their sneakers. That being said, I do realize kids are kids. These kids have not been TAUGHT to sit still during mass. It makes me a tiny bit crazy and I blame the parents, not the child, because a child that young just doesn't really know any better. I used to make my children be QUIET above all else. I could tolerate standing up/sitting on the kneeler, to color a piece of paper resting on the pew, but not a lot of climbing motion. I used to bring a sippy cup and some cheerios to buy the quiet. It's not very hard to throw a couple of things into a tote bag (soft book, like a coloring book, and a doll or stuffed animal). People just assume that a child "can't" behave during mass. They can and you, the parent, have to teach him or her how.

You wouldn't know from this rant, but I really did like the kids. They're cute little irish guys. I love kids. Would have been nice if they sang alto though, since I was the only one there today!

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...