Sunday, February 10, 2008

Keep your Eagle's Wings

No Sunday art today. Well, art in musical form this week.
Ahem.
I am NOT a fan of the hymn "On Eagle's Wings". It's pretty much a standard at our church; we sing it every couple of months. I stand there in the back row and pretend to sing while secretly rolling my eyes and not really singing it much.

I would much rather sing Veni Jesu, Amor Mi. (Come to me, oh Jesus my love.) This music is close, but I have an OLD copy... which is part of why I like it so much. Click here to hear it. (Scroll down, look for Soundbyte... I'm not quite hearing my alto part though, so it's a slightly different arrangement.)
The photo I've put in this post is the other song I did this morning(Jesu, Salvator Mundi); something about singing in latin is so much more elegant and reverent to me. I can't wrap my feelings around some of the cheesy english lyrics I have to sing now & then. Thanks, no thanks.
Although, I must add, I enjoy the older gospel stuff that Stanley has us sing fairly often. (ex: Precious Lord, Take My Hand which I really REALLY LOVE) I think it's the "contemporary" pieces I just find squidgy. Sorry... not trying to offend anyone.

Incidentally, I love http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/ I've gotten a fair amount of music from them. We get handed photocopies of some of the older arrangements we use, like the one above, but I try to buy sheet music if I can get it, to keep for my own small but growing collection. I've really got to get back to teaching myself the piano, AFTER PTA.

Eagle's wings? Great with buffalo sauce.

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...