Monday, June 09, 2008

Junk Room

My great Aunt Helena used to love garage sales. She used to go on a regular basis, with her best friend Ruth.

Her purchases would be deposited into the Junk Room, the second bedroom of her house. That room was beyond awesome. It was a kid magnet.

Suzy and I were just discussing it this morning. Pins, necklaces, hats, gloves. Everything a fashionable woman of last century would accessorize with. All sizes, colors, shapes.

If I recall correctly, there were art supplies and books too. Any number of interesting, random objects were piled here, there, and everywhere.

Every time we visited, Helena would let us poke around unsupervised to our heart's content. Eventually we always found something that caught our interest, and then we begged our mother to let us bring it home.

I always loved her house. It was a little brick house with a fireplace and a baby grand in the living room. I would have loved to see Suzy live there. Unfortunately so would the brothers at the frat house which is now right next door.
Carly(via Blackberry)

1 comment:

Weary Hag said...

Okay so we can assume you made it back into your house (referencing your prior post).

I am on my way to BEING an "Aunt Helena" ... yard sales are one thing that will get me moving out of the house early on a Saturday morning or if I'm really lucky - for one of those earlybird specials on a Friday!!

Boy I'd love to know someone with a room just like you described.
Musta been heaven.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...