Tuesday, July 15, 2008

singers cry AFTER the funeral

After 9/11 I learned from a choir director how to sing when you are also mourning.

You must focus on the notes, the words on the page. The markings, the rests... Step through them one by one. Execute perfection, as your gift to those present.

The funeral this morning pretty much closed one of the main streets in town. The fire truck loaded with flowers, the long black car, the officer on a horse... I could see them all from the windows of the choir loft.

If you need me, I'll be on my porch. Don't call. I may not answer for a bit.


Carly(via Blackberry)

1 comment:

onescrappychick said...

your post broke my heart.. I hope you enjoyed your porch time, and that involved a cold adult beverage, or 5.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...