Tuesday, January 20, 2009

a fine hat

So I convinced Drew that we needed to sneak out to lunch early to get to our local Smokey Bones (a bbq restaurant, for my friends in England) and watch the inauguration.

Our waiter was very cute and wore a shirt with "a good dry rub enhances our meat" on the back. Below that it said "stop laughing". I asked him if he had to wear that particular shirt (there are several variations of funny shirts, like "beer: it makes you do cool things". ) So he pretended not to know "which one" he had on and immediately started flirting with me for the rest of lunch.

That, or he was really NOT straight and just appreciated my sense of humour. I could not tell.

I got him to change the channel, because we could SEE nbc but HEAR cnn, and it looked like a subtitled kung foo movie or something because the audio was not in synch.

But the true point of this post... Aretha's hat is the single most awesome hat I have ever seen in my life. Diamonds and all. You know those were NOT rhinestones, not for the Queen to sing for Barack on this day. Oh no.

The other best part was the preacher and his black man, red man closing prayer. Amen. Well worth the price of admission.


Carly(via Blackberry)

2 comments:

emmay said...

I was thinking that not too many people could pull off wearing that hat. Aretha definitely CAN!

Anonymous said...

She definitely got R-E-S-P-E-C-T with that hat.

I will be on the look out to see how many women try to duplicate that hat this Easter. Cause ya know it is gonna happen.

A clip of Aretha's performance came across CNN this evening. I said to my daughter Ms Makayla, "check out that hat." She said, "Oooo I saw her sing at school." She then went on to say "She went AHHHH! She can really sing. She is a great singer." Mind you, she never heard of Aretha. So daddy introduced her to her Queen of Soul.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...