Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Do not get shot getting the shot


So.

The other day I admired the fog on the river on my way to work. I often admire the sunrise views I get while I slog down the highway to work at 7:30 every morning. (Oh, who am I kidding? I'm never on time, it's always "a few" minutes after that.)

My camera was in my purse but I couldn't get to it. So yesterday I made a point to have it within reach. No fog yesterday. Sigh.

This building is abandoned and for the last few days, the sun has been hitting it just right, streaming through the remnants of the windows and making the inside glow. (View it larger to try to see what I mean.)

I didn't do a great job of capturing it --but in my own defense you have to visualize how I actually took this shot --

I put my window down (this is on a highway running alongside the river, and it was about 20 yesterday, so enjoy that icy wind in your mind. )

I had the camera all set with the right mode, before I left my house. Yes, I planned this. It's winter. I have no life. OK ?

I put the camera up to my face... or more like, up to my jaw, resting it just below my left ear. Holding it only with my right hand, without looking at it, I just took about 6 shots in one continuous stream as I got close to where this building is. It was mainly just an experiment afforded by the ease of deleting unwanted digital frames.

:::official voice:::: At no time did my eyes leave the highway.

The traffic was pretty thin and I had a good buffer of empty space all around me, and I made damn sure I stayed in my lane and at the right speed. The clicking was a MUCH lower priority than anything else. I swear.

And yes, I know I'm absolutely nuts, but I was amused to have found at least one semi-usable shot.

After work I tried to go into the park that is up the river a bit from here. The gate was open and I had seen cars in the lot when I went by, so I pulled in, only to meet up with two police cars coming out. "The park is closed, Ma'am." ::::glares at me:::::

So I couldn't stay, which sucked because I could see that I would have been able to get some good shots of the ice on the river.

"Sorry officer" (insert other obsequiousness)

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...