Saturday, January 24, 2009

My day

It was a rather exhausting day, I have to tell you

Up at 7pm. ok, 7:14. Once I was dressed, breakfast, etc, I dialed in to do some work. Then the PTO president whom I abandoned this year (not.... still running 3 or four things....helping with the web page, and so on....) called to discuss lunch stuff.

Left house at 8:30. Mission: buy 3 quarts of buttermilk, then head over to the school. I know. Seriously. Buttermilk.

9:00 am - met "my team".... we will do food prep once a month for the school. Today we made ranch dressing (with the buttermilk) and then made ziti for 60. Not hard, but it took 3 hours to do the cooking and cleanup. This was the first day I met the other people; they were pretty nice so it was good. I felt a little guilty because I was the only one who had done this before, so I was directing the 3 of them, more than doing any of the work. The kitchen is tiny and I was trying to stay one step ahead of them to keep everything moving along so we could just get out of there. And I pulled out the wrong foil prep pans. Dummy! But they all think on their feet, and said "Um, no, this doesn't work", so actually it was a good trial for them and now I know they're smart and will really make this work. I made a point to send them each an individual email tonight thanking them, so I hope that it's cool.

12:05 - take photograph of the front of the school, because the one I had for the yearbook sucked and was way too grainy when I enlarged it for the first page. Brrr. Did I mention it was about 20 degrees? IT"S SO COLD HERE. AAAAAAAAAAAGH.

12:15 hungry. Eat bad food because I have to head to a store 20 minutes away to get my new glasses... Hmmph

12:30 Get to glasses store. Walk from parking space to mall in horrific winds which make me whimper. The closer I get to the mall door, the harder the icy wind blew. Eff. Me.

Friendly clerk takes my name, gets optician, who comes with pink cat's eye frames which Are Not Mine. (insert silent internal cussing) I'm not sure why I totally didn't get stressed by this. I simply said almost conversationally, "um, those are the wrong frames"... optician went and checked them out, and said the professional, polished equivalent of "we really effed up and put your lenses in the wrong frames and we're really really sorry because these are cheap and ugly so we know you don't want them and we'll put a rush on the right frames and new lenses"

1:10 get home and eat some cheese danish in frustration. With milk. I know. But damn, it was good.

1:14 rinse the black fibers out of my eyes. Ever since I washed that black scarf, I swear to (whoever you choose) that it has magical powers of regeneration. It sheds TINY black fibers constantly. All over my coat, every sweater and shirt I have, holy effing crap those fibers are EVERYWHERE. I can't get over it. And they are in my eyes, and uh, (gross) on tissues

And no, I can't bring myself to get rid of the damn thing. It's REALLY soft, and it's REALLY effing damn cold now so I just can't part with it even though I mentally compare it to asbestos every time I have to rinse a fiber of its fuzz out of my eye.

1:3o leave for basketball game I don't want to go to, but I am a good Mom. Sorta. Because I did go. But I didn't want to. I wanted to lie on the couch and watch Top Chef.

2:30 another mom said to me "I found minnows in my laundry.... A was fishing and left them in his pockets. "

1) that is SO funny. Washed AND dried minnows. Were they medium rare or well done?
2) it's winter - where was he fishing????

Are you tired yet? because I was, by this point

3:00 playing with camera, shooting black and white at ISO 400. Happy.

3:30 - we lose, by about 3 points. Sigh.

4:30 - headed up to go to dinner with our friends (their son is on same team.... the boys plotted all through dinner for a sleepover. I won! It wasn't at my house! Bonus - eggplant parm. Nummy. And low carb.

6:00 - came home to do more yearbook work. AKA "can I get five minutes in a conference room with these developers to just kill them for not making an easy way to scale a photo to a new size without cropping off kids' heads?"

7:45 find the easy way. Sigh.

8:14 Brother in law calls.... yes, that one. Husband gives excuse to keep them from visiting but when I realize they are 3 blocks away I make him call back to invite them over.

8:30 frantic tidying up. How relaxing. Clean stove because it is A Thing, ever since SIL mentioned how she hates cleaning her flat top stove Mr. Carly wants mine to be spotless when she comes to visit, because It's Not That Hard. Petty. Small. Cleaned.

9:15 BIL comes with toddlers... who I love dearly, but OMG they are like pinballs bouncing around my house. Nephew is in stage where he screams "Mama" if anyone else dares to breathe in his general direction. Happy times.

9:45 nephew is more or less playing on my treadmill, which is fine if it's off, he just wants to climb up on it. He is one year old. His mother says "Do you want to see what it does when it's on? " Ummmm. No.

10:30 Relatives leave. Open another mini bottle of wine (one glass)

11:20 hit post and wonder why anyone would want to read this lonnnnnnng entry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRRRR it was! The thing is I took was in front of a school (St. Madeline Sophie) taking a picture of it. How funny is that! Snap, snap, snap that's all folks. Tripod never made it out the car. Self, "Why didn't I just take a picture of something inside."

There is a family of minnows somewhere wondering what happened to Nemo.

Anonymous said...

So we can be like, man, and then i had to read this EPIC post....

or cause it's like, short by my standards.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...