Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Testing, 1, 2, 3....

This might be suitable for the clients I have at work... when I told them I wouldn't have the program moved to a production region until Monday* (especially if they keep changing the final draft of the form....) they asked if they could email out the test region link to all of the end users "because the code is there."

Um, no. The test region is for testing, and if you stop giving me more changes to do, and just test what I've built, so that I can move it to production where it's supposed to be, I won't have to send you a link to a strange angry hamburger that apparently has a limited vocabulary. (I couldn't build the note I WANTED to build on that typewriter screen.)

*Monday was the date they requested as the delivery date. It WILL be done and moved into production by Monday. This is all VERY familiar, old news, to programmers. Any programmer. Every client does this. "Can you do more? Can I have the program finished early? Why not?" This is like working with toddlers who want to open their presents Christmas eve. Or, say, the first time it snows in December. People are that random.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tried the angreygram...didn't work...grrrr....can't they get the f'in thing to work right and on time?!?!?! ;-)

used to be a programmer, know only too well what it is like when the target keeps moving, when you're dealing with static things like, oh, say CODE.

We had a client using a bug as a feature once. Problem was, it was a big "feature" for them and they were...well, let's just say trading certain things might have had a problem if their system went kaput.

Good luck with it all..breathe and realize it is only work, only work, only work, only work.

emmay said...

Little "Helen" cannot get enough of the angry Whopper. She has been asking all day to see "the angry hangaburger" and erupting into fits of hysteria over "flicking boogers." Ahh...to be almost three.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...