Thursday, January 08, 2009

Trying to look on the bright side



So this is how I am feeling. (yes, this is really me.. I need a haircut, and apparently an eyelift....)

I had an official "diabetic eye exam" for the first time today. They blinded me with science. It's not bad enough that they dilate your eyes, then they shine really really bright lights at you. This shot was AFTER the "un-dilate drops" which sting like nobody's business, and don't do all that much for quite a while.

And, being me, I came home and stood by a window with the blinds part way open, and figured out how to use the macro setting on my new camera (MINUS the flash, because I had quite enough of THAT at the doctor), and capture the moment. I guess you'd just have to know me. But I like the way that my hands show up in the pupils. Everything I see, I want to take a picture of, and this just embodies that.

My eyes are apparently fine so far - so the exam went well (if you don't count the strangeness that comes with being "adult" and having your parents bring you. They insisted, saying I wouldn't be able to drive afterwards.)

Well actually, in no particular order,
  • My father drives around wearing a white hard hat. (He used to work at a food plant; I think it's from there. He's been retired some 5 or 10 years, but he keeps things. )
  • My parents followed me into the doctor's office (which was fine, it's cold out, and we'd be there a while) and then sat down without another word while I checked in, and they just opened magazines and didn't talk to each other or me. The receptionist more or less came out to try to figure out who they were and why they were there.
  • Then the technician said "Oh, is one of you coming in too?" (not seeing my NO NO NO NO NO screaming silently through the air. ) They didn't. Phew.
  • All the way back to my house they argued about burgers. He asked what's for dinner; she said burgers. He said what kind, McDonald's or Burger King, and she said "(family last name)". Then he said "but I can't have mustard and onion and pickles then..." and she said "You never told me you wanted mustard and onion and pickles on your burgers." Mind you, married since 1961. I wanted to stare into the sun by then, just so that I would somehow erupt in flames from the sticky chemicals on my eyeballs, in hopes that they'd push me out of the car. Wait, you need a magnifying glass for that, don't you?
  • After saying all the way back to my house that he needed to use the bathroom, he declined to come in and use the bathroom. OK Dad. See ya. Good luck with the Flomax.

I swear I thanked them for bringing me, but I'm not sure they noticed.

2 comments:

emmay said...

The photo looks like something out of Twin Peaks promos...but the story...totally a Seinfeld episode....completely. I might pay money to see your dad driving around in his white hard hat.

onescrappychick said...

Aren't parents trippy? Glad your eyes are OK.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...