Sunday, January 04, 2009

A personal note

Dear Mr. Travolta,

I am so heartbroken about your loss. I hate the fact that the scum sucking media in this country is eagerly trying to somehow blame you for the loss of your beautiful son. Any accusations of neglect, or comments on you and your wife's preference for/against certain treatments, based on religious reasons -- all of those whispers and rumors are horribly obscene in my eyes.

I know from the experiences of one of my own extended family members that having seizures is frightening for not only the patient, but also everyone nearby. One can't just cavalierly wave their hand and say "take medication" and be certain that the medication will resolve the seizures. There are limits to how much medication a child's body can tolerate/ metabolize, and sometimes the maximum allowed dose still won't control the seizures. There are side effects to worry about. Ignorant people brush all of these details aside, when their motive is to tear down a grieving family rather than to support them. It's EVIL to treat any family that way.

In our family's case, doctors were able to find a medicine that has controlled R's seizures for years now, but that didn't happen until after he had a long seizure that very nearly took his life. I can still recall the phone call from his father, telling me about the seizure, the ambulance ride to a larger hospital, and the details of what the doctors had to do to stop the seizure and stabilize him. TO SAVE HIS LIFE.

So my thoughts and prayers are with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They're bringing him back to Florida, I think Ocala authorities will work hard to give the family some peace at the service - we're not much for paparazzi at family events.

It's just such an awful story all around. Mia Farrow's daughter as well, what a horrible holiday for them.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...