Tuesday, January 20, 2009

No doubt about it

Drew delivers. I tell you no lies.

Not only did he call Smokey Bones to find out exactly what the waiter's t-shirt said, he also found the complete transcript of Rev Lowery's prayer.

(Yes. He called the restaurant and asked whoever answered, let's call them SB, about the shirt. SB must have noticed our particular waiter standing right nearby because he said "hey, turn around let me read your shirt". I think some people who sit near my cubicle are annoyed about how loudly I laughed at him for doing that)

Back to the prayer, we were walking out of the restaurant to get back to work, and I stopped to see a bit more, and we watched the prayer, the end of which is right about now:

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around -- (laughter) -- when yellow will be mellow -- (laughter) -- when the red man can get ahead, man -- (laughter) -- and when white will embrace what is right. Let all those who do justice and love mercy say amen."
AUDIENCE: Amen! REV. LOWERY: Say amen -- AUDIENCE: Amen! REV. LOWERY: -- and amen. AUDIENCE: Amen! (Cheers, applause.)




Carly(via Blackberry)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this part of the prayer! I'm going to quote it when teaching my student teachers about equality and diversity.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...