Monday, March 30, 2009

A blur of a weekend

I am still TECHNICALLY employed until Wednesday. Last Friday a bunch of my work friends met at a bar for a sort of farewell "happy hour" for me, even though they know I'll still stalk them all for lunches when I can. One friend was kind enough to use his iPhone to document my (slight ? ) inebriation on Facebook... thanks Troy!! They gave me a wonderful card and gift... it was awesome.

Saturday I went to see my friend sing in a performance of Bach/ the St. John Passion. I could talk about how cool it was to score a 5th row seat (basically front & center since the rows ahead of me were kept empty for best visibility) or how amused I was by the diva (um, guest soprano) and her lovely dress (oh wait, now I'm being snarky) or how GOOD the tenor was (and how I wish I could drag him away and hide him up in our choir loft to replace icky Dick... but no restraining order required, really....) or how petrified I was that I'd fall asleep due to it being a 3 hour concert and I was ah, a little worn out from Friday... but seriously.

I don't think I've ever been up close like that for a live chorale + orchestra (about 100 people onstage) and it was really fantastic. I love to peoplewatch and I got there early enough to see some of the members tune their instruments and chat casually with one another. It's so entertaining for me, to watch the faces of the singers and see how much they enjoy performing, and watch them FEEL the emotions of what they're singing. And of course, the actual performance was outstanding. The harmonies were so amazing, the instruments complemented the singing so perfectly. Words fail me.

At the reception after the show I had a chat with the singer who sang Pilate (I had met him previously, he's a regular member of the group) and we talked about the different ways you could say "what is truth?" to reflect a wide range of emotions -- given where I am these days it was an interesting convergence.

Yesterday was the basketball awards banquet. :::eyeroll:::: Overall it was lovely and the food was great, but there were a couple of idiots and a couple of jerks, and so what could have been a fine evening got pretty crazy here and there.

All of the coaches in the league were on board with "no extra trophies" request from the league directors, except ONE coach, and so it was pretty obnoxious when he gave a bobblehead to every member of his team. Oy vey. There's always one person who believes every kid should have a trophy, and that person is not me. Fine, when they're little and playing T-ball, hey, that's swell, but when they're almost in high school, let's get real. The world is not going to applaud you every day just for showing up.

Awards go to the kids who work hard to be the best. That's life. And kids need to learn that yes, sometimes other kids are going to be better at you than something and you might not get a trophy. My kid was disappointed, but he got over it. It just wasn't his year. Some of the other kids are older and taller and just a little bit ahead of where he is, and it is what it is (but yes I comforted him as best I could... it's not like I'm unsympathetic to his feelings. ).

I'm tired and not on track with my "plan" yet - (to spring clean and catch up on every project I ever started, ever..... ) almost every day this lunch I am having lunch with friends. I am still feeling very disorganized.... blah!

2 comments:

onescrappychick said...

(applauds).. I love that "the world is not going to applaud you every day just for showing up". AMEN!!!

Anonymous said...

Howdy - I was sent here by Meopta on account of having been recently deworked myself...Just wanted to say hi and I'm enjoying your writing so far!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...