Thursday, January 13, 2005

Good food, annoying people

So, I went to my next cooking class last night at the Glen Sanders Mansion , and I was pretty psyched about it. The first thing they made was a "scallop pot pie", you know, not chicken but scallops, and it was pretty damn good considering I burned my mouth up because it was so hot. I actually snagged my sister in law's serving too, about 30 seconds after she said "I really don't like fish." Nice white wine, can't recall exactly what name but it was fruity and "off dry" according to the speaker. This month I start a wine tasting class with the other sister in law so I will be a wine snootypants before long.

Next was some quesadillas which I can barely spell, much less eat. I love seafood and italian, but hate most mexican food. Whatever. After that was a lasagna with white sauce (bechamel) instead of tomato sauce, and about 5 kinds of cheese when we counted. Other than spinach and onions, it was cheese, cheese, cheese and cheese again and I couldn't really eat it even though it tasted good. Way too rich and it sat like a brick, KWIM? I think after a salad it would have been OK, not following something like the scallops potpie.

I was glad I saved room for desert - they made a bread pudding out of challah bread and it had raspberry sauce all through it. OMG. Yummy. Whipped cream, sliced almonds. I'm hungry again just thinking about it.

The annoying thing was that every time I go to one of these classes I can't get even REMOTELY close to the front of the banquet room because you know the ladies who wear red hats because of this stupid poem and form clubs? Well these ladies reserve tables and hog up the best seats. In an even more annoying development their daughters seeemed to have formed a League of Spoiled Rich Girls Who Wear Ugly Pink Hats. They're young and perky and I wanted to smack the crap out of them for some reason. After the demo cooking was done the chefs went around answering questions but their time was monopolized by SRGWWUPH. Wenches.

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...