Friday, January 28, 2005

I am so bummed right now....

So, I met this woman recently and we seemed to hit it off, and I thought we'd be friends for various reasons that seem pointless to mention right now.

She invited me to stop by this afternoon, and I said, well, I get out of work at 2, the kids get home at 3, we'll be over.

When I got there, she was already sort of pink cheeked and laughing but I thought "so, she had a glass of wine before I got here, so what?"

She proceeded to get shitfaced, in front of my kids. I'm talking, she slurred her words, would say to them randomly, "come sit with me," and want to hug them, etc. My 10 year old was kind of "no, I'm sitting over here" and seemed pretty adept at maintaining her own "space". My 7 year old is not really old enough to pick up on my muttered cues and said "why are you talking like that?" Did I mention she was slumped on the couch, kind of droopy faced and sad?

I am soooooooooooooooooooo sad right now. I can't have this person around my kids if she consistently behaves this way. I can't "hang around" with her if she's going to drink herself into that state when we come over.

So now I thought I had this great new friend and it was fun and cool and now I am sad for her and worried about what to do to try to help her and whether I even can.


4 comments:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Sucks. Sorry to hear about it.

Johnny Virgil said...

Dammit. I told Julia to lay off the booze before 3.

Carly said...

OMG, no.... hahaha not JN. I actually tend to keep right up with her when we get together. She's a happy drunk (and when I am being a happy drunk, I like to dance with her. Not that there's anything wrong with that.) D was being a sleepy, almost passed out drunk.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I replied to this, that it wasn't Julia, with an attempt at humour, and now I see blogger has failed to post my comment. I hate you, blogger comments.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...