Friday, January 14, 2005

The rain gets me this way....

I was driving to work this morning in the pouring rain. I mean, I was looking for Noah, seriously, but I was actually in a pretty good mood because I had my favorite "bad" breakfast (a croissant with egg and cheese, oj, and Coke from Burger King). I was listening to Kelly Clarkson's new cd and it's excellent.

Before I left I saw Dubya on tv. Apparently Baba Wawa (my god, I miss Gilda Radner) did a new interview of the Dubya and his wife.

She asked him something to the effect of "Why did God allow the Tsunami?" and he pretty much blew the answer, IMO.

He talked about how we as humans shouldn't presume to know what God is thinking, and we shouldn't infer that He is displeased when a horrible event happens. Also he said that we should never play God.

He's got it all wrong.

Now, don't misunderstand, I don't think God set out to smite sinners with that big wave. Not at all.

If you say to me, "where was God that day?" I will tell you that God was there in the form of the rescuers. The people who grabbed someone and held on, the people who came to help as quickly as they could (except Diane Sawyer, it still bugs me that she went over there.), even those of us who clicked a few buttons to donate ten bucks, or more. We are all playing God.

The best thing you can do in your life is give of yourself to someone who is in need. Step up and help them. Sacrifice for their sake. That's how God is there.

This message brought to you by a long drive in the pouring rain....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true. I heard an interview last week with the leader of a church group who believed that the wave was a punishment to sinners. A thinking person knows better but as a sociology teacher used to say "religion is the opium of the masses", which means people tend to turn their minds off when it comes to religion. How easy it is for religious leaders to bend people towards feelings and actions that fit their agenda, and say it's god's will. /J

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...