Monday, January 24, 2005

When Irish Eyes are Fibbing

So I was TRYING to mind the bank's business (or at least participate in my meetings via phone)while staying home with Sick Daughter and my cell phone rang in the middle of a meeting. I had a Bad Feeling and it wasn't from last night's dinner.

It was the school nurse. Ut oh.

Immediately she began scolding me: "I've been trying to call for a while and the phone has been busy." Excuse me? Why do I have to explain to you what I'm doing, using MY PHONE? I could be calling QVC for crying out loud, and it's still none of your business. I explained as politely as possible that I was participating in a MEETING. As in, yes, I am WORKING FROM HOME. Hrrrmphhh. Whatever.

Then she told me that D was in her office, saying that he didn't feel well. "He's very pale but he doesn't have a fever." I resisted the urge to tell her that he is pale on the 4th of July, because of the Irish blood on daddy's side, and that he is not sick really, but perhaps envious of the fact that Sick Daughter was in Mom's bed watching TV when he left the house.

So I spoke to my son, who used Tears and Sad Voices to ask me to come to get him. I promised to get there "soon". Meaning, as soon as I figure out how to watch daughter AND go fetch son. (Did I mention it's below ZERO again and that there are penguins wandering around in my backyard?)

My neighbor is retired (but hasn't started his vegetable garden yet) so I used an emergency chip and called him to run over to sit with sick child #1 (the One Who Really Was Sick... or at least... The One Who Thought of It First....)

Neighbor came right over to watch tv and keep an eye on #1, although the first thing he did when he walked into my family room is look out the window to see how HIS house looks from mine... that was wierd... but he's cool so it's ok.

When I got to school my son looked at me with a studied "sad face" and then did the dramatic "throw myself against mommy and wrap my arms around her" move. I tried not to let the nurse see me rolling my eyes. We got home and I could see him looking toward where the TV was...off.

"Well, get your pj's on and get back in bed, D". HUH? Tht wasn't what he expected. "Can I read?" "Yup, in your bed." Hmm. Scowl. That didn't go as he planned.

Both kids slept for a while because I would not let them watch TV, dammit!! Then a light lunch was offered, because, well, you never know. (He wanted a bologna sandwich.... it's a miracle! He's cured!!)

It is now midafternoon and I am tired, and

we

are

watching

T.V.


.... I surrender!!




1 comment:

Erik with a K said...

As long as the performance is good enough, then they merit a sick day (or half day). If they don't put the effort into it, then I say no TV. And if they're really sick, of course, then throw this out the window.

I fondly remember placing a thermometer on the lightbulb of a lamp in my room and then shaking it down to say, 99.5... :-)

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...