Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fish are friends, even the dumb ones

You might recall that we got Ted a while back, nearly killed him because I know nothing much about aquariums, then saved him by pouring Finn (and a bag of cootie-filled water from the pet store) into the tank. It was an easter miracle, according to my son.

So they're just floating blissfully along, more or less. About once every month I realize I need to change the water. I scoop them into my giant Pampered Chef pyrex measuring cup (holds 8 cups) and they freak out for a while and swim in crazed circles while I dump their tank. It's a good time because I chronically overfeed them and they apparently poop like fiends whenever I'm not looking.

This morning I went in to feed them and they were both more or less "sleeping", tucked between the fake pirate's chest and the fake blue plant. They were nose to tail; I assume they sleep that way so that they can keep a lookout for predators or wayward toddlers.

When I turned the light on and started sprinkling food in they both startled and tried to swim forward - but they got stuck, tangled up in each other. It was hysterical because for at least 10 seconds they bumped into each other over and over, both trying to go in opposite directions, and neither one quite able to get past.

I guess you had to be there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Put down the Pyrex dish! You got to get one of theses Python Products http://www.pythonproducts.com/aqprod.html It makes cleaning the tank less time consuming. No need to take them out the water. Been using one for past 18 months. Got mine at "Walmarts" :)

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...