Friday, August 01, 2008

But I LIKE bread...

I really, really do.

My doctor sat down and looked me in the eye. "We have to talk about your bloodwork."

Hey, now that's a pickup line every girl wants to hear.

He started explaining Glycosylated hemoglobin and that mine has gone up .3 since the last time he measured it. He's been tracking based on my family history. (remind me to get that old scrapbook out and look through it and thank them one by one. )

By some of the things I've googled, I'm more like "Pre-diabetic", but the sheets his receptionist handed me emphatically state that with my level, I have type 2 diabetes.

It would explain quite a lot. And it's not cancer, or more heart trouble, I just have to actually eat right and start exercising much more.

But there's a 3 year old deep in my brain stamping her feet and saying "I like caaaaaaaaaake.... and FROSTING. " The funny thing is that I really don't bake much. I might make a cake for a birthday of an immediate family member, but that's about it. I am not really into cookies. Or candy - I don't even like chocolate.

No, my friends. It's the carbs in the pizza, and the Coke along with it. Evil, sweet, syrupy Cocca -Cola that combines with my genetic hiccups to totally fuck up my blood sugar levels. The wine, and the bonbons. The crusty bread I like to eat maybe 3 slices of with a meal of ...pasta. So I have to shuffle around all of my thinking. Learn how to trade off and only have one of those things at any given meal and not really very much of it either.

If anyone knows of good resources on the web for a very confused carb-counter, I'm all eyes.

1 comment:

onescrappychick said...

oh girl.....

while I'm glad it's nothing more serious... I'm sorry you have to get this kind of news. I don't have any good resources, but I can ask around. Enjoy your Friday. (mom leaves tomorrow.. I could cry tears of joy)

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...