Saturday, August 23, 2008

Tidbits

My stomach hurts 2x as much today, because it didn't hurt yesterday. MFSOB and other curse words.

My backyard is FINALLY seeded and smells like the manure mixed into the topsoil. Happy happy joy joy. On the plus side I can pretty much guarantee everyone who lives in my area that it won't rain for a while and we'll be out watering for hours every day. Anyway

Like my new header photo? After lunch I sat on a lounge chair under a tree at the Sagamore's beach area, looking out at the gorgeous lake while the boys swam. After maybe three minutes D's friend came up to me and said "isn't this area for guests of the hotel?"

I pointed out that we had spent $150 at the boathouse on the island to go kayaking, and another $50 to eat lunch in the restaurant 50 feet from where we were sitting. "We ARE paying guests. All I'm doing here is sitting on a plastic chair. Now go swim."

So I took pictures and listened to my iPod and ignored the "We're bored" until about the third time, and then I calmly pointed out that "People drive hundreds of miles to vacation at this lake. We're meeting your dads for dinner at (spot farther down the lake) and so we're pretty much staying here until then. Deal with it. Stop acting like it's torture to be spending the entire afternoon swimming in a beautiful lake." Once they realized I had clicked to Lecture Mode (actually I think I threw in "would you rather sit in your classroom? because we can go there, and skip dinner" ) then they left me alone. If I have to be a semi-bitch to get two hours of relaxing on a perfect summer day, then so be it.

It was kind of fun to people watch. No olympic specimens (what so ever!!) mind you, but funny to see Ms. Guggi having a fit because her toddler wouldn't get on the speed boat for a ride, so Mom & toddler had to stay (Um, here's a hint, put her in the boat and tell her to shut up. Nevermind, just book her for rehab now.)

It's funny to see teenagers reading a book you know they were supposed to read all summer, and they're maybe 1/4" into it. (The Color Purple? that boy did not WANT to read The Color Purple.)

It was also funny to watch Chair Wars. There are literally hundreds of chairs but some are better than others and people feel compelled to sit with their entire group and drag chairs around and mark them with towels and argue about who saved a chair and so on. It's funny to see the people who brought their room towels instead of knowing that a big basket of towels would be available at the beach.

And no, if you're wondering, we didn't take any towels.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Header photo works!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...