Sunday, September 14, 2008

Farm 2

It's funny, I have lived in upstate NY most of my life but spent hardly any time on farms.

Sheep's milk cheese is milder and nuttier than goat's milk. It also is different nutritionally - more calcium and so on. So said Ms. Sheepfarmer.

The yogurt was goooood and the brebis blanche was tasty and creamy. (So yes we're eating cheese all day but the tour planner owns a bakery and runs a farmers market so everyone got a fresh hard roll and a veggie salad that was to die for - broccoli, corn, tomato, cuke, red onion, chives and so on. )

This farm was muuuuch bigger. Where each of the goats has a name and the owner of that farm seemed much more of a "live off my land" type, there were far more sheep and it was much more automated in the milking area. There seemed to be employees at this second farm where at the first the man commented that he, his wife and daughter did everything from caring for the goats to putting up hay.

Ms. SF seems much more businesslike. Not that either of them works any less than the other... Just a sense of a different reason for farming in each case.

PS. Fork bracelet guy has hand sanitizer, so he is becoming quite popular. I have to find out his name.

Pss. I won't comment on sheep shit texture. I had plenty of opportunities to analyse though. Blah. At least the sun is out now.


Carly(via Blackberry)

1 comment:

onescrappychick said...

I'm glad the weather got better for you. It's grey and steamy here.. but at least it stopped raining. This tour sounds like a heavenly way to spend a Sunday. I might be jealous.

Do any of the farms spin their own yarn?

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...