Thursday, September 04, 2008

I give up

Another day of work like today just might be the end of me. Then it won't be a question of whether I get laid off or have to try to find another job. I'll just implode on myself, like one of those buildings that are rigged with miles and miles of cable so that they collapse, inward. That little pile of dust there? Oh, that was Carly.

I am tired of trying to keep clients happy when I know we won't get their work done in a million years. I am tired of dealing with the quirks of giant corporate America - the meaningless training that you must complete, the bureaucratic red tape that must be clawed through over and over. Today I had to deal with a client who wanted to submit a formal work request document for funding because he thinks that will pressure our group to assign a resource that we just don't have available to assign to him. And he was the lesser of the two difficult clients I had to wrangle today. The other one was annoyed because Bride and Groom are out for two weeks and they worked on his database and now they're AWOL in his eyes.... but they don't want him to know they got married, because it's their private buisines, and so I had to come up with a phrase like "Unavoidable personal circumstances" to explain why they're both out. At the same time. For two weeks. Without telling him first. I should put a bow on that email and put it in their card. I hate to be bitter and begrudge anyone their honeymoon, especially since I had such a blast at their wedding. So I took one for the team, and it really sucked and I'm having a big old pout about it.

I also had to deal with the mail server going down and marking all 383 items in my inbox as "new" on the failover copy. It was up and down more than Hugh Heffner. And there is no one there anymore, to laugh at my stupid jokes, or make ME laugh with a corny joke, or go grab a slice of pizza with, or share a news story about something other than Sarah Freaking Palin (who looks like a slutty librarian to me, I'm sorry).

And everyone here hates everyone here for doing just like they do
It's best if we all keep this quiet instead
And I couldn't tell, why everyone here was doing me like they do
But I'm sorry now, and I don't know how to get it back to good

1 comment:

allPointsBulletin said...

" It was up and down more than Hugh Heffner." ... LOL

Sounds like a trip to I Love NY Pizza or Panera on Monday would be good? ... That is if I'm not DEAD from improvements on the kiddies rooms all week!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...