Monday, December 15, 2008

And then, surprisingly, I had a glass of wine

I hurried to school feeling very unprepared for the yearbook meeting only to find the internet connection in the school's computer lab was down AND the teacher (who has to be present in order for me/us to use the room) had to leave at 4, not 5 as I planned. Half the kids weren't there (still don't have power at home). Arrrgh. We got done about 1/5 of what I hoped to do.

I'm torn between "catching up" some of it over Christmas break myself or having some of the girls over or... I don't know what. The online software is tricky and doesn't like a photo I really NEED to use (of the school... on the first page....) but I wrestled with it and started to figure some of it out tonight.

From school I went to the market praying that there would be food there. I literally had some frozen fish sticks in my house and not much else to make for dinner. I was SO relieved to see the parking lot crowded. That was a good sign. I found MEAT and MILK and OJ and simple things that I will never grumble about (prices) again. (And butter with the same lot number that I bought Saturday. Hmmmmm. My big fear is buying spoiled food over the next week or so.)

I spoke to a clerk (who moved some stuff out of my way - he probably recognized me from closed circuit footage as That Girl who knocks aisle displays over and lets her kid climb shelves and be bonked on the head by soup cans) and he said they'd bought a generator so that they could reopen and restock- the rest of the city still has unreliable power. This is truly the worst weather impact in 20 years. I was thankful all the way to the car despite the icy rain.

My son and Mr. C went through the piles I left behind in my frustration (I did put some of his stuff into the dresser after sorting out a "try these on" pile and a "give to our friends" pile, and a "HANG THESE THE EFF UP" pile). So there is a great improvement there.

My daughter who is NOT in Kindergarten has to MAKE a manger scene by hand and has been avoiding this for a while. It's due Friday and that was good for some bickering tonight.

but my hamburger and mashed sweet potato dinner? it was delicious.....

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...