Saturday, December 20, 2008

Depressing Christmas songs

What's Christmas without some holiday cheer? Downright depressing.

There are plenty of GOOD Christmas songs that aren't overly cheerful (Chris Botti's "December", with his trumpet playing, is getting me through times this holiday when I am stressed) and there are baaaad for you, lonely brokenheart Christmas songs.

Here are my "Top Ten songs that you should not listen to if you've got no one under the mistletoe with you" ...let's start with one which isn't REALLY a Christmas song;

#10, It's Just Another New Year's Eve by Barry Manilow. He even starts by saying, Don't look so sad, it's not so bad you know. Which is the lyrical equivalent of a man asking a woman "what's wrong?" and she immediately starts to cry.

9. Placeholder for songs about war, poor people, red shoes, ...I have to admit I hate those songs, I really do. SO much, I can't even pick one.

8 You can always try to pretend it isn't actually Christmastime, and play River. I have a nice version of this that I can't find...can't think of her name, but I'll also point out that Sarah McLachlan has done this plenty of times

It’s coming on christmas-They’re cutting down trees-They’re putting up reindeer-And singing songs of joy and peace-Oh I wish I had a river-I could skate away on

7. Another placeholder, but don't get upset. Surely you have a song I've haven't included in this post. Start thinking about it now.

6. Blue Christmas - by Elvis himself...

You'll be doing alright, with your Christmas of White, but I'll have a blue Christmas without you.

5. It's worth a try, so you may as well ask... Please Come home For Christmas by the Eagles, or several other people (just like nearly EVERY Christmas song, sooner or later everyone but Flava Flav takes a crack at it)

Bells will be ringing-The glad, glad news-Oh, what a christmas-To have the blues-My baby's gone-I have no friends-To wish me greetings-Once again


4. The only hoped-for response is I'll be home for Christmas (but not really, because I am away at war... I think the last line says it best...)

If only in my dreams....

3. Another Auld Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg: bumping into your ex is VERY depressing, no? That's what you get for going to the grocery store on Christmas Eve.

I felt that old familiar pain, and as I turned to make my way back home, the snow turned into rain.

2. Every Year, Every Christmas - Luther Vandross is a bit pathetic, going back to the same place and SHE'S NEVER THERE. Give it up. Move on. (This was ALMOST my number ONE / "worst", but I think Mariah actually starts to cry in hers)

I don't know how love could do this to me-I've waited and waited for someone I never see-But I'm so sentimental, and I'm so hopeful you'll be there-So, here I am every year, every Christmas

(Let's give Luther a few more bars... I miss him)

I've wished for you in my heart and in my head-And I got my answer that first moment that we met-And, oh yes, I believed you as you told me, I believed as you said-You'd be here every year, every Christmas--

and the kicker...

I have my pride, but I'd rather be with you tonight.


1. The champion of all depressing Me Without Yule, er, You songs is Ms. Mariah Carey singing I Miss You Most at Christmas time.

Everybody's smiling, the whole world is rejoicing, and everyone's embracing, except for you and I. Every other season comes along and I'm alright, but I miss you most at Christmas time.


Don't they all just make you want to curl up on the couch and eat every Christmas cookie in the house?

Please pass the kleenex.... and remember what I said up there in number 7, my cop-out placeholder for your least favorite song? See that comments link? Use it.

2 comments:

onescrappychick said...

Till The Season Comes Round Again.... Reba's version

makes me cry every time.. probably because my family broke up when my daughter was born and our Christmas traditions all changed and we don't get together much and it's still hard after 11 years.

Anonymous said...

The irony of Blue Decorations on B.B. King's A Christmas Celebration of Hope.
"the spirit of Christmas is so hard to share alone. When you once had it all, now all you have is gone. All the children are singing the sadest melodies ..."

And right about now I am not feeling Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!. The first couple lines has to go along with the snow we are getting. I'm just saying ...

Now, we are the rest of those Christmas cookies I was eating when I started this comment? :)

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...