Thursday, December 04, 2008

Jazz musicians do it better

Any fool can put out a Christmas album(and sooner or later, most pop and country singers do) but I prefer it to be done by real musicians (twss, yes, I know).

One of my favorite holiday albums is "a Dave Brubeck Christmas". I love anything with plenty of piano, and 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town' really moves.

Speaking of piano, you can pick up the Vince Guaraldii Trio's 'a Charlie Brown Christmas' and just play Linus & Lucy over and over like we do. (I have to confess, it's my ringtone right now. My kids are crazy about that song. There's still time for us to learn it by Christmas -no pressure, but I did buy the sheet music).

If 50 year old cartoon soundtracks don't grab you, try Chris Botti - December is relatively new (out last year perhaps) but I find myself repeating it at work because it's much more mellow and helps block out cubicle farm animal noises.

If you HAVE to have singing, take these :

Snowfall, & Goodnight: Manhattan Transfer - the Christmas Album (still jazz, yes).

Diana Krall - Christmas Songs (even though on the cover shot Girlfriend looks like she's MIGHTY tired, still a good energy all round)

Frosty: Harry Connick - Home for the Holidays. (Sidebar, I saw his daughter sing with him on tv and she's every bit as beautiful as her mom. )

That's all the time I have tunes for. Or something like that.


Carly(via Blackberry)

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...