Monday, December 08, 2008

Carly plays with clay

So, I saw a graphic in some spam from NBC (selling various trinkets related to NBC shows) and it was Dwight wearing a Santa hat. I "hat" to make one for MY bobblehead.

I know almost nothing about this medium other than the name and that "it's clay and you bake it".



The fimo clay was VERY hard to work with - they make a "soft" version now for goldfish like me but I wanted the red with embedded red glitter. It left red alllll over my hands. Luckily it washed right off or I would have gotten even MORE strange looks at work than usual.




I put saran wrap over the Dwight head once I saw how much red
was coming off on my hands. Then I made a couple of attempts before I ended up with this slightly Seussical hat.


With the saran wrap clipped snugly over his face I felt a little like this was veering toward a snuff film. Icky.



I baked it, tried it on him, and it chipped a little; I baked it more. I'm okay with the thought that I more or less suck at FIMO clay sculpting, but I am proud to say Suzy is the champion at that. (For an example of her skilled artwork click here .) Hey, I was proud of myself for even THINKING of texturizing the brim with a tiny serrated pumpkin carving knife blade.


The finished head, in front of a screen shot from "the Alliance" (season ONE....)

If you look closely at that white square, lower left, it is a thermometer and it shows I do indeed have the fire blazing. The interior of my family room is 74*, and it's now 30* out on my enclosed back porch. (And for those of you keeping score, I am off the clock now. Really really.)

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...